PEP scepticism

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Sun Jul 1 01:53:33 EDT 2001

[Roman Suzi]

> >Examples are:
> >	- augmented Assigments
> >	- Lists comprehensions
> >	- Simple Generators

(About recent changes, I would sadly add the fact that join/split are now
string methods -- an horrible ugliness that still just cannot tame me!)

> I can't see these as bad things which make Python worse!  If you do not
> want to use them - please do so.

Beware the PL/I syndrome. :-)

Quite granted that nobody is forced to use a feature.  But when a language
becomes too featureful, people start programming in the subdialect they like
best, later creating difficulties to other wanting to read their programs,
who might like other parts better.

One of the reason behind Python legibility success, is that there is
almost only one way to do one thing (to contrast with Perl, say).  We are
progressively sliding away of this virtue.  The danger is real.