Long Live Python!

Bruce Sass bsass at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Wed Jul 11 14:10:43 EDT 2001

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, phil hunt wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 15:31:11 -0700, Paul Prescod <paulp at ActiveState.com> wrote:
<...>
> >Python does not have a niche and is not obviously a niche-friendly
> >language.
>
> Sure it does: python's niche is as a scripting language that's also good
> for longer programs.

Hehe, you must have missed the recent thread about removing the first
line from a text file... I thought it showed that Python is a horrible
scripting language, way too verbose, it turned what should be a few
lines of script into a program.

If I move my notion of a "script" up a level (or two)...
Python is great at scripting high level stuff;
it is not obvious that could be a niche,
and even less obvious that Python fills it.

i.e.,  Python is good at turning what would be "longer programs"
       in most other languages, into scripts.

- Bruce