Language change and code breaks

John Schmitt jschmitt at vmlabs.com
Tue Jul 24 17:32:05 EDT 2001

[...]
> The language would remain case-sensitive, and you would be free to use
> it that way in any tool you chose, but there would be a separate tool
> available that enforced case-preserving case-sensitivity for those who
> prefer it.
[...]

There you have it folks.  This is the same thing that Guido ended with the
last time this issue came up.

To summarise: The language will not change to be case-insensitive.  Python,
the programming language, will remain case-sensitive.

Thank you very much, Guido, for stating it.  I'm hoping that we can keep
this message and quote it as the BDFL proclamation on this issue the next
time it arises.

Personally, I'm happy to hear that the language will stay case-sensitive and
that I can choose to use or ignore a tool that provides case-insensitivity.
Hopefully a tool that would provide this isn't tied to something I would
like to use.

John