Why database modules are incomplete

Dave Cole djc at object-craft.com.au
Wed Jul 11 09:40:26 EDT 2001

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.net> writes:

Paul> What could be interesting would be some kind of common test
Paul> suite for database modules. It would give module developers
Paul> something to aim for (for compliance with the DB-API), and
Paul> module users something to use to verify how good a module is for
Paul> their purposes. mxODBC has something like this for sanity
Paul> checking, as well as for investigating certain aspects of type
Paul> binding.

That would be a good thing.  I have a feeling that the DB-API is not
strict enough to write anything but the most general test suite.

>>  You are 100% correct here.  If only people were willing to try the
>> module.  For all I know there are more than 20 people who are using
>> the module for serious work.  Noone ever tells me, so how can I
>> claim that I have a proven module?  As I said before - there have
>> been over 180 unique IP addresses which have downloaded the
>> Sybase-0.2x module.

Paul> Perhaps it works sufficiently well for the purposes of the users
Paul> who downloaded it. Nevertheless, sure-fire ways to elicit
Paul> feedback would be invaluable for module developers. Do any of
Paul> these Sourceforge surveys ever get used? (Or are people too worn
Paul> down by having too many meaningless "Who is your favourite
Paul> actress?"/"What kind of geek are you?" surveys in their face
Paul> whilst surfing?)

I am as guilty as the next person here.  I suspect that it just does
not occur to people who use a module that the developer might be
lacking positive feedback.

It is a classic case of the volunteer's dilemma:

        http://www.heretical.com/games/vdilemma.html

        (excellent book - by the way)

Everyone just assumes that other people will provide feedback so none
is ever received.

- Dave

--
http://www.object-craft.com.au