Changing the Division Operator -- PEP 238, rev 1.12

Mark Day mday at apple.com
Fri Jul 27 20:02:39 EDT 2001

In article <mailman.996263475.24304.python-list at python.org>, Guido van
Rossum <guido at zope.com> wrote:

> Here's a new revision of PEP 238.  I've incorporated clarifications of
> issues that were brought up during the discussion of rev 1.10

Thanks.

Originally, I was uncomfortable with the change.  But now I'm starting
to warm up to it nicely.  The threads about non-programmers (eg.,
medical technicians) getting caught by classic division was quite
compelling.  Sometimes I forget that programming itself isn't the goal.

I think my original discomfort was due to using C for so long (and
damaging my brain along the way).  But maybe C is like tobacco, and if
I quit, maybe my brain will eventually heal.  One can hope.  :-)

-Mark