A use for integer quotients

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Thu Jul 26 03:20:03 EDT 2001

Gareth McCaughan wrote:
<SNIP>

> By the way, any definition of "mathematician" that excludes
> pure mathematicians is spectacularly broken.

In that vein:

A mathematician, a physicist, and an engineer were each asked to
comment on the assertion "All odd numbers are prime."

The mathematician at once gave a counterexample, 9.

The physicist said "1 is prime, 3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime.
Now at nine we see second order effects!"

The engineer said "1 is prime, 3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 9 is
prime..."

Tim Daneliuk
tundra at tundraware.com