Augmented Assignement (was: Re: PEP scepticism)

Courageous jkraska1 at san.rr.com
Tue Jul 3 00:54:17 EDT 2001

>Changing the implementation two releases *after* the fact is going to

Expecting the change of something  is one thing and observing it's
incorrectness is another. Be what may about the current implementation
and future of Python, it is simply wrong that a = a + 1 is evaluated
differently than a += 1.

I'm not sure that this will matter much in the scheme of things;
however, I do know that this behavior will likely always be surprising
to the uninitiated. The equivalency of a = a + 1 to a +=1 is
something that I'd wager is the first instinct of programmers
approaching the form.

C//