Is this a true statement: Part III

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Tue Jul 3 10:57:37 EDT 2001

In article <9hsckg$4rt$1 at taliesin.netcom.net.uk>, MDK <no at spam.com> wrote:

>The thing that I found interesting about the Part II posts were the
>positive things said about the C language.  Is C that much different
>than C++?  Why the leaning towards C over C++?  I thought C++ was
>supposed to be the 'New and Improved C.'

Let me give you a real-life example:

I'm not a C programmer, but I've used C a bit.  I've also read some
books about C++ over the years.  The company I was working for hired a
contrator to write a DLL to interface between two parts of the system we
were writing.  The contractor chose to use C++.  The DLL that was
delivered failed miserably in following the spec, but it worked just
barely well enough that we postponed rewriting it due to lack of time.

As these things always play out, the need to rewrite the DLL came up on
very short notice, basically one week was what we had to meet a deadline
(the biggest problem with the DLL was that it worked okay with text
files but choked on binaries).  Although I was the least competent C/C++
programmer available, I was elected to do the rewrite because I was the
expert on the APIs the DLL used.

I managed to do the rewrite in a week, but only by sticking to straight
C code.  The rewrite was cleaner, simpler, and faster.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                 http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

"I'm not tense, i'm just terribly, terribly alert"  --unknown