compiling c app in MSVC

Brian Quinlan BrianQ at ActiveState.com
Tue Jul 10 19:37:04 EDT 2001

ThaFacka wrote:
> MSVC5 complains when compiling a program with <python.h>,
> that the lib file python20.lib is either invalid or my
> disk is corrupted (cant set file pointer to 0xblabla).
> and no my disk is not corrupted. anybody compiled '
> succesfully with MSVC5?

Python is compiled with MSVC6, which does not produce libraries that
are compatible with MSVC5.

1. You can try to rebuild Python with MSVC5 (probably won't work
though) and then build your project (but the binary will not be
compatible with everyone's Python).
2. You could pay Microsoft some cash and get MSVC6
3. You could start developing with Cygwin Python and use GCC