Python 2.1 _sockets error

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Fri Jul 27 21:33:11 EDT 2001

{posted and mailed}

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Zen wrote:

> When I start Zope, I get this error:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/www/heavenga/Zope-2.4.0-src/z2.py", line 540, in ?
>     import ZServer
>   File "/usr/www/heavenga/Zope-2.4.0-src/ZServer/__init__.py", line
> 87, in ?
>     from medusa.test import max_sockets
>   File
> "/usr/www/heavenga/Zope-2.4.0-src/ZServer/medusa/test/max_sockets.py",
> line 2, in ?
>     import socket
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/socket.py", line 41, in ?
>     from _socket import *
> ImportError: /usr/local/lib/libcrypto.so.1: Undefined symbol
> "ERR_load_RSAREF_strings"

{...}

> The system is running FreeBSD 3.4, and the installed version is Python
> 2.1.  This happened with the install from the ports collection, as
> well as installing from the source package with the basic configure.

For some reason, your base system doesn't have some RSA related
entrypoints in its libcrypto, but your build from the Python port expected
it.  This may be related to the ports system now not specifically
supporting FreeBSD < v4.0.

It might be worth trying to build Python 2.1 (better yet, use 2.1.1)
from the configure script and see whether you get the same result.

For many reasons, you should at the very least upgrade the system to
FreeBSD 3.5.1-STABLE, or even better the 4.3 security updates only branch
(RELENG_4_3 I think).

E-mail: andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au  | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at pcug.org.au            |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/        |        Australia