Long Live Python!

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Jul 11 17:47:50 EDT 2001

phil hunt wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 15:31:11 -0700, Paul Prescod <paulp at ActiveState.com> wrote:
> >Kemp Randy-W18971 wrote:
> >>
> >> So an interesting question is raised.  If PHP and Ruby are gaining
> >> acceptance because they address business needs, what needs to be done to
> >> carry Python in that direction?  And while Java may be slow, Sun pushing it
> >> for business solutions also gives that language acceptance.  How can Python
> >> become as popular as Perl, Java, or PHP?
> >
> >Perl, Java and PHP all grew popular by solving a particular problem at a
> >particular time, better than any other language. (I'm thinking of system
> >administration/CGI, Applets and web page generation). Perl and Java grew
> >into general purpose languages over time. The jury is still out on PHP.
> >
> >Python does not have a niche and is not obviously a niche-friendly
> >language.
>
> Sure it does: python's niche is as a scripting language that's also good
> for longer programs.

I tend to think of Python more as an extremely effective and maintainable
general-purpose programming language, which happens also to work
very well when applied as a "scripting language" (whatever that means).

(In a way I agree with Paul's conclusion that Python is too generally
useful and overall nice to use to have drawn the attention of a tiny
core of vocal fanatics (who then have to write 100 books explaining
every subtle nuance of the language).)  We've applied it so widely
that I would certain question the term "niche language" when applied
to Python (more so than almost any other language).  Even Java
has a more clearly defined "niche" (internet programming).

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com