An unspeakable act

James Logajan JamesL at Lugoj.Com
Tue Jul 10 00:50:17 EDT 2001

Daniel Klein wrote:

> I did the unspeakable and got into a discussion (with another person on another usenet group) on
> Python vs Java.

You got into a _discussion_? Well shucks, that doesn't sound unspeakable. If
you got into an angry, venom spitting, eye-gouging, knee-into-the-groin
fight, then it might have been "unspeakable". Or not.

> This person says that dynamically typed languages produce bug-ridden programs and
> that there are no reliable large applications (especially network apps) written in Python and that
> it is just used for small to medium scripting. I know better but I don't have any proof.

Look, you have got off on the wrong foot. You are trying to think logically.
That gives the other person a leg up on you. (But you admit that you know
better without proof, so you aren't totally out-matched.) You should have
put the burden of proof on the other person: demand proof that there exists
a large project attempted in Python that was a failure for the reason he/she
states. That'll shut the bugger up for a while. Even he/she digs something
up, it'll take so long that lurking readers will consider you the winner.
And that is all that matters in Usenet "discussions".

> Can anyone
> point me at a list of companies and the applications they have written (I already know about Zope
> and I can't find the list of companies on the Python website since they moved the page to PSA).

Me: What is your quest?

Daniel: I seek the holy Grail...