Language change and code breaks

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Jul 24 15:51:00 EDT 2001

Courageous <jkraska1 at san.rr.com> writes:

> The moment using "tools" with Python becomes an essential part of
> creating Python programs, the language is dead to me. All of this
> pent-up rancor of mine comes with my open contempt for Lisp environ-
> ments which more or less simply require you to use Emacs.

I think you've got that backwards.  The whole point of putting case
insensitivity in the tools it *not* to force you to use the tool.

The language would remain case-sensitive, and you would be free to use
it that way in any tool you chose, but there would be a separate tool
available that enforced case-preserving case-sensitivity for those who
prefer it.

BTW, this would happen in a distant future, and that's all I'm going
to say about case-insensitivity for now.