HTTP through multiple NICs

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Fri Jul 13 11:50:47 EDT 2001

"Gardiner, Geoff" <ggardiner at accelrys.com> wrote in message
> I need to send HTTP traffic through multiple NICs (multihoming with
> different IP addresses AND different MAC addresses) on a single PC. The
> traffic doesn't need to be simultaneous (I think I'll try to walk before I
> run).
>
> I've got a working single-NIC test suite in Python, but haven't worked out
> how to direct traffic to more than one NIC - I'm a complete novice in this
> area. I can't find anywhere obvious in httplib or its superclasses for a
NIC
> identifier or local IP address to be used to select the NIC.
>
> Can anyone suggest where I start with this - before I rush out and buy the
> NICs? I'm running Win NT at present, but could switch to Linux if that
> helps!

You don't say whether you are writing HTTP clients, servers, or both.
Generally speaking, on any well-behaved TCP/IP platform (i.e. at least
Windows and Linux), the network layer will direct client traffic out on the
correct NIC to route it to the destination. For servers, just use an address
of "" and the server will bind to all interfaces.

Hope this helps.

regards
 STeve

--