[OT] Number theory [Was: A use for integer quotients]

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed Jul 25 11:05:43 EDT 2001

michael wrote:

> > But strictly
> > speaking the Integer 2 and the Real Number 2 are different entities.
>
> So strictly speaking, Z (the set of integers) is not a subset of R
> (the set
> of reals)?

It is, but since the integers have different properties than the reals,
whether you mean the integer 2 or the real 2 can have an effect on what
you can do with those numbers.

For instance, the reals are a field, but the integers are not, so
whether 1/2 has any meaning depends on whether you're talking about
reals or integers.  I think that's what the original poster was getting
at.

/  \ Be thine own place, or the world's thy jail.
\__/ John Donne
    blackgirl international / http://www.blackgirl.org/
 The Internet resource for black women.