BURNING EARTHSHAKING Tuple Question

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sun Jul 22 14:05:50 EDT 2001

Stephen Horne wrote:

> Funny - the guy who last taught me maths insisted on the
> rhymes-with-couple version. tOOple sounds too high brow to me -
> British snobs tend to say things the longest, most stretched out and
> emphasised way they can - presumably they need to make up for the lack
> of content by at least making their words sound as impressive as
> possible. American high brows, I presume, are too busy making money to
> waste time saying 'oo' when they can just say 'u' ;-)

Yeah, I stick with the _couple_-rhyming version as well.  It's the
pronunciation I've heard most often.  Strangely enough, when he was
attempting to correct me, he said that he'd never heard anyone pronounce
it to rhyme with _couple_.  He started off in academia, so perhaps when
mathematicians are isolated with other mathematicians they tend to
pronounce it that way.  I really don't know.

/  \ Never use two words when one will do best.
\__/ Harry S. Truman
    Alcyone Systems' CatCam / http://www.catcam.com/
 What do your pets do all day while you're at work?  Find out.