int(a), b = divmod(x, y)

Stephen Horne steve at lurking.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 27 18:18:42 EDT 2001

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 18:00:50 -0700, "Ken Seehof"
<kens at sightreader.com> wrote:

>This is not the same as a = int(5.2) and it would seem really wierd to
>me if it were.  Then again, from a C++ point of view, any syntax that
>is currently illegal is a natural candidate for a new syntax feature :-).
>But python is not C++, so I'm afraid you'll have to settle for something
>less terse and more clear.
>
>a,b = divmod(x,y)
>a = int(a)

I don't know why the first output in the tuple isn't an int anyway.
After all, it *is* a member of the set of integers even if it is
currently represented using a float.

A quick example...

>>> divmod(5.1,2.0)
(2.0, 1.0999999999999996)

So why doesn't this return...

>>> divmod(5.1,2.0)
(2, 1.0999999999999996)

If the 2 is used anywhere a float is needed it will be cast to float
implicitly anyway once PEP238 goes through.