PEP0238 lament

Steve Horne sh at ttsoftware.co.uk
Mon Jul 23 07:21:58 EDT 2001

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001 20:39:43 -0400, "Tim Peters" <tim.one at home.com>
wrote:

>Your choice, but my guess is that Guido has done an excellent job of
>maintaining backward compatibility so far (he burned me by changing
>str(long) to stop producing a trailing "L", and I must have spent nearly 20
>minutes recovering from that -- BFD).

Of course - so far. In 2.2, the biggest issue is the new 'yield'
keyword, for instance - easy to fix, and not a problem for me because
I have a naming convention where identifiers always contain at least
one uppercase letter.

Changing the behaviour of a fundamental arithmetic operator is going
to ruin this record quite effectively, I think.

Integers are much more used in scripting code than floats - subscripts
and loop indices being the main culprits. Integer division happens
quite a bit. All that code is just going to suddenly stop working. How
nice.

--
Steve Horne
Home : steve at lurking.demon.co.uk