Advice wanted: asynch I/O on unix

Russell E. Owen owen at astrono.junkwashington.emu
Wed Jul 25 11:24:45 EDT 2001

Thank you very much to all who responded.

Since there's no standard mechanism for buffering an unbuffered device,
I will try the driver package that comes with the card. It has an
implementation of buffering that is a bit complex but should do just
fine. The C code I started with has yet another implementation of
buffering (it ignores the card vendor's driver package), but it is
clumsier.

I didn't want to go to extra fuss if a standard buffering mechanism
existed, but since it doesn't...time to get to work! I'm just glad the
driver package exists. (I'll know just how glad to be once I see IF the
driver package works! But it's an EDT company product, so I expect it'll
be just fine.)

I'm most of the way through a Python interface to the driver library.
Once that's done (my first C extension module, wish me luck), I can do
everything else in Python. Hooray!

-- Russell