Language change and code breaks

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 18 11:32:29 EDT 2001

"Steve Holden" <sholden at holdenweb.com> wrote in message
news:_bh57.32695$d4.1090608 at e420r-atl1.usenetserver.com...
> In the CP4E world, do you feel it is better to educate everybody to
> understand that capitaisation has meaning, or dumb down the systems to
allow
> those without a finer appreciation of language to get what *they* expect,
> thereby annoying the literate minority? I've never been quite sure how

I consider myself a member of the literate minority (well
within the upper centile on all relevant demographics), and
having a recently-invented typographic prettiness, such as
letter-cd tcase, affect meaning, has always struck me as a deeply
flawed idea.  I hated it when I first met it in C and Unix,
and a quarter of a century hasn't reconciled me to it.

Alex