Going from webscripting to server-client software.

Duncan Grisby dgrisby at uk.research.att.com
Thu Jul 26 05:51:16 EDT 2001

In article <6572890e.0107251014.47e07810 at posting.google.com>,
 Stephen <Shriek at gmx.co.uk> wrote:

[...]
>I know there's lots to learn here and would prefer to go read up
>rather than trouble you so any helpful resources will see me on my way.
>Should I be looking at SOAP/.Net or Visual Basic or Java/CORBA instead
>or is Python up to it?  What other caveats are there ?

This is the ideal kind of application for CORBA. You could model both
the booking server and each of your client applications as CORBA
objects. They would then easily communicate with each other so
everything is kept up-to-date.

Python is the easiest language in which to develop CORBA applications,
and there are a number of CORBA implementations available. This page
has a list of them:

  http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/4930

I won't recommend one. I wrote omniORBpy so I'm biased.

Cheers,

Duncan.