Advice wanted: asynch I/O on unix

Erno Kuusela erno-news at erno.iki.fi
Tue Jul 24 16:46:06 EDT 2001

In article <9jk65h$dto$1 at nntp6.u.washington.edu>, "Russell E. Owen"
<owen at astrono.junkwashington.emu> writes:

| The main problem is going to be how to buffer data until it can be read.
| the parallel port card has no buffering of its own. Hence the complex
| process outlined above.

i am not sure what you mean by buffering here. select() will tell
you as soon as it can be read. until you do the data is likely being
buffered by the device driver...

[...]

| P.S. Any advice regarding using "aioread", etc. vs "aio_read", etc.?
| This is on Solaris 8. "aio_read", etc. seems to be the standard Posix
| way of doing asynch I/O. I have no idea where "aioread", etc. come from,
| but it's what the existing C code uses. At first glance, the interface
| to aio_read looks a bit better, but I'd hate to pick something that was
| buggy or deprecated.

yes, aio_read is posix. i have not used it. it may be better
to ask about it on another newsgroup (eg comp.unix.programmer).

standard python does not expose these functions, but having a python
module that does would be interesting...

  -- erno