Language change and code breaks

Delaney, Timothy tdelaney at avaya.com
Thu Jul 19 20:22:22 EDT 2001

> > begINNiNG with A lOwER caSE LettER CaN NO LongeR Be usED.
>
> Very funny (not).  You misunderstood the intention.  The programming
> environment should be case-preserving, and automatically correct
> identifiers to use the same case as used when they were defined.

However, this *does* rely on the tools to do the case-preservation.

I use a text editor for just about all my programming. The one I happen to
like most is unable to warn me about inconsistent-case.

Yes - it can be caught at compile-time ...

Except (and here comes the meat of my argument against this) ...

a = 1

def f()
    A = 2
    print a

What should happen here? Should there be a compile-time error? Does this
mean that I can't have a local variable with the same name as a global
variable, but differing only in case? But the following code is legal ...

a = 1

def f()
    a = 2
    print a

What happens if I do 'from something import *' (no, I don't actually do
that, but a lot of code does) and it imports into my global namespace a
bunch of names which conflict with names in my functions *only in case*?
Suddely my code breaks for no apparent reason.

I think introducing this would be *very* dangerous.

Tim Delaney