PEP 238 (revised)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Jul 26 20:20:37 EDT 2001

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Here's a completely revised version of PEP 238.
[...]
> Command Line Option
>
>     The -D command line option takes a string argument that can take
>     three values: "old", "warn", or "new".  The default is "old" in
>     Python 2.2 but will change to "warn" in later 2.x versions.  The
>     "old" value means the classic division operator acts as described.
>     The "warn" value means the classic division operator issues a
>     warning (a DeprecatinWarning using the standard warning framework)
>     when applied to ints or longs.  The "new" value changes the
>     default globally so that the / operator is always interpreted as
>     true division.

The choice of command line options is inconsistent with the terminology
used elsewhere in the updated PEP.

To further reduce the potential for confusion, I suggest changing
"old" and "new" to "classic" and "true".

If that suggestion is accepted, "warn" might be better spelled
more like "classic-warn".

--

The updated PEP also makes no mention of a utility for scanning
existing code to check for potential problems.  Is this considered

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com