Long: Python Is Really Middleware

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Tue Jul 31 10:42:41 EDT 2001

In article <3B667EBA.DA6C298 at tundraware.com>,
Tim Daneliuk  <tundra at tundraware.com> wrote:
			.
>There has been an ongoing discussion about how Python, C, and
>many other languages relevance as "systems" languages
>here (comp.lang.python) recently.  This started as a brief (Ha!)
			.
			.
			.
Well, *that* narrows it down to sometime between
1992 and 2001.
			.
			.
			.
>  lifting.  Crack some part of these two problems - and Python
>  is ideal for both, so long as the performance issues don't
>  get in the way - and you'll live Happily Ever After - or until
>  the CTO starts losing at golf and needs another "win".
One of the happy Python features that your expo-
sition didn't mention is that most Python
performance issues are correctable.  That is,
if a pure Python XML parser is too slow (and it
is, and will be--that's an issue with me),
Python's facility for extension makes it feas-
ible to "drop down" to C for a module.
			.
			.
			.