Comparison of different types does not throw exception

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Thu Jul 12 22:23:07 EDT 2001

Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> I haven't heard a peep from anyone who was bitten by the change in 2.1
> where we disallow "<" etc. for complex numbers.

Although I guess it doesn't strictly make sense, I would assume a "<"
operator applied to complex numbers would compare magnitudes.  The problem
with that, I suppose, is that "<", "==", and ">" would not cover the entire
space of value pairs.

> But then if we removed complex numbers, most folks wouldn't notice anyway

I must admit, I've never actually written any python code which uses
complex numbers, but I still think their inclusion as a fundamental data
type is one of the real (!) cool things about the language, and would
lament their loss.  Takes me back to my fortran days, when I really did
write that kind of code.

It is especially awesome that python uses the "correct" imaginary unit of
j.  None of that i garbage the math weenies try to foist on us.

"We're sorry, you have reached an imaginary extension.  Please rotate your
telephone 90 degrees and try your number again".