Developing Visual Studio add-ins in Python?

Gerson Kurz gerson.kurz at t-online.de
Fri Jul 13 09:03:48 EDT 2001

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001 01:03:21 GMT, "Russ Shotts" <rashotts at mn.rr.com>
wrote:
>Has anyone used Python to create a Visual Studio add-in?  I need to perform
>some fairly complex processing, and their VBScript macros just cannot handle
>the task.
I have started writing an add-in. Its a bit tricky to add to
Pythoncom, because

a) there is no typelib (at least no typelib I know of), even though
the stuff is IDispatch-derived.
b) Objects are not created; instead the DLL gets passed a pointer to
the main IApplication object.

I'm doing this: a DevStudio Extension DLL that at the same time
exposes a Python Extension (so it can be import-ed) that returns the
DevStudio object via callback.

I hope to have a working draft ready by next week.