Augmented Assignment (was: Re: PEP scepticism) -- what variable names are you using?

Maciej Pilichowski macias at bp.com.pl
Tue Jul 3 08:03:45 EDT 2001

Hello there,

  As far as I can see everybody uses examples likes this:

x += 2

  Max. was 2 chars name long. Gosh, in my programs I use as long name
as it is possible and as short as it is still understandable.
  So if it is 11 p.m. I would love to see possibility of writing

BiezaceWolneSrodkiKlienta += LimitKredytu

instead of

BiezaceWolneSrodkiKlienta = BiezaceWolneSrodkiKlienta+LimitKredytu

/sorry for non-english names/. It is much clearer. Less to typing,
less thinking "is that the same variable?".
  For me -- I see only advantages of such operator.

  One rule more to learn? Well, the idea is simple -- "adding in
place" /for example above/ -- that defines very well all cases /I
think/. And if you don't want to learn? Well -- don't.

  I vote for go :-)

have a nice day
bye

--
Maciej "MACiAS" Pilichowski
http://www.torun.pdi.net/~macias/

z a k u p i e : pisma Komputer: 3/86,4/87