PEP0238 lament

Tim Peters tim at digicool.com
Mon Jul 23 15:41:18 EDT 2001

[Steve Horne]
> I think you'll find it's the picking of languages where 1/2 = 0.5 that
> has to be done carefully - I can think of Pacal, Modula 2, LISP and -
> taking into account your correction - Perl and JavaScript.

LISP doesn't belong in that list, but members of the Algol family do.

> The last to are enough to prove that your *opinion* is valid,

Which opinion is that?  I haven't said I'm in favor of PEP 238, and indeed I
haven't made up my mind.  I do believe I understand why Guido thinks it's
important, though, and burned some time trying to flesh it out.

> those are not in use to anywhere near the same extent as languages
> like , C++, Java and BASIC.

Already said I don't care what other languages do here, and, yes, of course
that's my opinion -- like yours is yours.