PEP0238 lament

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Mon Jul 23 10:45:08 EDT 2001

In article <cEN67.17775$EP6.4652917 at news1.rdc2.pa.home.com>, Terry Reedy wrote:

>Situation: Python '/' currently overloads and confounds two arithmetic
>operations: whole-number result division and fractional result
>division.  This confuses some people.

That's life.  The foo[] overloads different operations also:
indexing into a sequence, looking up an element in a
dictionary.

What about the other overloaded math operators like "+", "-",
"*"?

Should "/" behave differently from the others?

Personally, I don't think so.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I know things about
                                  at               TROY DONAHUE that can't