Comment on PEP-0238

David Robinow drobinow at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 5 16:56:10 EDT 2001

Paul Prescod <paulp at ActiveState.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.994276569.27572.python-list at python.org>...
> > Arithmetic expressions that
> > involve only integers currently always result in an integer.

> 0.28366218546322625
 Surely you are not claiming that
   " math.cos(5) "
is an arithmetic expression involving only integers?

> > Who expects?  You are already seeing in this discussion that many
> > people think that the current behaviour is not only what they expect
> > but is actually very justifiable.
>
> Sure, people with a bunch of programming language experience.
>
> http://www.python.org/doc/essays/cp4e.html
 I read this.  There's a pointer to Prof. Pausch's page that is
purported to prove the difficulty of closed integer division.  There
is absolutely no such reference.  In fact, the evidence suggests that
newbies picked up Python quickly.