Augmented Assignement (was: Re: PEP scepticism)

Paul Prescod paulp at ActiveState.com
Mon Jul 2 13:54:25 EDT 2001

Tim Hochberg wrote:

> Someone made a decision at some point that the builtin mutable types should
> mutated by augmented assigment. If the newbies were sacrificed on somebody's
> alter, it was not NumPy's.

I've come to the same conclusion myself. I don't know what the rationale
is for this "mutable types behave one way" and "immutable types behave
another" philosophy. "Advanced" types could have "smart" behaviour and
simple types could have x=x+y behaviour.
--
Take a recipe. Leave a recipe.