Deposing Dictators

Pat Knight nospam at eurologic.com
Wed Jul 25 12:10:41 EDT 2001

<margg at ux-ma160-18.csv.warwick.ac.uk> writes:

> Many political historians claim that, in short to medium term timescales,
> the best form of governance is the benevolent dictatorship -- where the
> leader cares about his people, and has the ability and intelligence
> to act quickly on their behalf. However, it is unstable in the long term:
> either the dictator, or the next in line, stops caring about the
> populace, and becomes capricious and vain.
>
> I have been pondering recently whether we are seeing this process in
> action with Python. Guido van Rossum has been an extremely strong and
> benevolent dictator, and Python itself is a much better language, and
> has a bigger mindshare, than it would under many other leadership
> systems. However, we may be getting to the stage now where the task of
> guiding Python should be taken out of his hands.

As recently as yesterday it appeared Guido wasn't listening. Having seen his
posts today on the subject of both integer division and case-sensitivity, I now
think he was listening and *thinking*. In other words, waiting until he'd
considered what the rioting masses were asking for before responding.

I'm much happier now with his current positions on both these issues, and feel
that they show he has listened.

I'd also like to complement Guido on having the grace and courage to do what
he feels right and best for the language, in the face of some uncalled for
ad-hominem remarks. I'm particularly impressed that he's able to modify his
position publicly in circumstances where another might have stuck to their guns
to "save face."

Well done, Guido.

--
Cheers,
	Pat		Tel: 0117 930 9621 (Intl: +44-117-930-9621).