SMTP server class ??

Sheila King sheila at spamcop.net
Tue Jul 10 15:17:26 EDT 2001

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:00:17 -0400, barry at digicool.com (Barry A. Warsaw)
wrote in comp.lang.python in article
<mailman.994773686.29026.python-list at python.org>:

:
:>>>>> "SK" == Sheila King <sheila at spamcop.net> writes:
:
:    SK> Actually, I found what Barry Warsaw calls his "experimental"
:    SK> smtp server (RFC821 compliant) at the Vaults at
:    SK> Parnassus. I've downloaded it.
:
:It's actually now in the standard library as smtpd.py.  It's
:asyncore/asynchat based, and it's not perfect, but at least one other
:person than me has found it useful <wink>.
:
:It implements the minimal required RFC 821 SMTP server interface, and
:no, it hasn't been checked against RFC 2821 yet either. ;)

I looked at the current 2.1 Module docs online here
http://www.python.org/doc/current/modindex.html

and see no mention of it?

I've taken a cursory glance from the code I downloaded off of your site
last night. It seems to be heavy on the Unix-isms. Does it run on win32
platforms?

Heh...I'm not expecting something extremely standards compliant.
Actually, all I really want, is something to act as smtp.localhost so
that I can set my mail client up to send mail to 127.0.0.1, and have the
raw messages written to a file. Then I will take a script to pipe them
to this smtp server I'm having to use temporarily (I want to set the
>From on the SMTP envelope, so that I can use my usual "from"
address...ISPs can be so restrictive...been without my usual DSL for
over 60 hours now, and using temporary dialup with port 25 blocked. :(

If I have time this afternoon, I might try a hand at writing myself
something simple. I'm just being cautious, as I've not done any sockets
programming up to this point.

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/