PythonCOM and Office. Arrgh!

Matthew matthewm at ihug.co.nz
Mon Jul 9 23:54:58 EDT 2001

Hi everyone,

A few more hours and my mind will be gone; burnt to a frazzle by this
most annoying, frustarting problem.

No matter what I try, I CAN NEVER get named keyword arguments to do
anything via PythonCOM Excel automation.

xlapp.Workbooks.Open("D:\\Fred.xls", Password='fred')
profers no error. The xcel window opens with Password Dialog  opem. Type
in 'fred' and s/s loads up. Named arg passed in call apparently ignored.

xlapp.Workbooks.Open("D:\\Fred.xls", password='fred')
generates error - Open got unexpected keyword argument 'password', so it
seems to me that somethings going on with passed named args

I've tried 10s of different xcel functions but with identical results.
Named args do zippo. Spell a keyword arg incorrectly and you get
reprimanded.

I've tried under NT4/2000 with both ActiveState2.0 build 203 &
ActiveState21.- build 210.

What am I overllooking/missing? Please help before it's too late...

Thanks, matthew.