OO misconceptions // Learning curve geometry/

Tim Hammerquist tim at vegeta.ath.cx
Wed Jul 25 00:16:12 EDT 2001

Me parece que Ville Vainio <vvainio at karhu.tp.spt.fi> dijo:
> tim at vegeta.ath.cx (Tim Hammerquist) writes:
>
> > glad you have found a language that works better for you than Perl
>
> A year ago I had nothing against Perl; it seemed wonderful to have
> only one "special purpose" (text processing & extraction) language to
> learn, instead of several (awk, sed, whatever). It's still great for
> throwaway scripts for log analyzing/whatever. I didn't turn to python
> because I had problems with Perl; I looked into it because I like
> looking into different languages, and found it superior to perl
> (though, like everybody, I was initially suspicious of the whitespace
> thing... :-). This is probably what happened to most other pythonistas
> as well.

My story sounds very similar, except for a few points.  I've done ASP
pages, DB access, Tk GUIs, and (of course) CGIs in Perl.  I just never
considered it a "special purpose" language. (Nor did I find any
shortcomings of Perl during these endeavors...none except those in Tk
which are present in Tkinter as well...) ;)

OTOH, I looked into Python for, apparently, the _exact_ same reason
as you.  However, I fell in love with the indentation code grouping
immediately.  Oh, how many Perl scripts I'd inherited from my
predecessors in this easy-to-read format:

sub do_something {
process();
for $item (@array, $etc)
{ while ($some_condition)
{process();}}
someMoreProcessing stuff;
}

And now, imagine the functions 200+ lines long and poorly designed... =(

No, Python's syntax guaranteed I'd never again run into that particular
problem again.  Yay!

> Speaking of beauty, think of the iterators & generators in
> Py2.2... yummy.

Yes, I eagerly await all my newfound operator-toys.  =)

--
Be different: conform
	-- fortune-mod version 9708