smtp authorization...how to?

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Tue Jul 31 23:13:51 EDT 2001

"chajadan" <me at charliedaniels.com-1.net> wrote in message
news:3b675617.48549445 at news.mailops.com...
> I started pokin' around in the smtplib and tried sending an e-mail.
>
> My smtp server requires a username and password, yet there is no
> method for either of these. That I saw.
>
> Is there an available module that incorporates these, or a simple way
> to extend smtplib?
>
> Any pointers would be great.

The smtplib library just implements RFC821, I believe. Various extensions to
the protocol have been implemented in various mailers, and if your ISP is
standards-friendly they will be using something RFC2554-compliant.

There's a little more information in

    http://www.ravenbrook.com/project/p4dti/issue/job000197/

but this is essentially a bug report, so there are no fixes there. One other
possibility: some ISPs will authenticate your connection for sending if you
use POP3 first, since POP *is* and authenticated protocol. You might try
that.

Sorry the news isn't better ... someone may have a patched smtplib you can
use.

regards
 Steve
--