Operator symbol for "nb_intdivide"

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Thu Jul 26 19:32:50 EDT 2001

[Guido van Rossum]

> > I would like to suggest to use a clearly distinguishable one-character
> > symbol for the "nb_intdivide".  [...]  Among the still free symbols ("?",
> > "@", "$" I guess) I would suggest to use "$" for the integer division.

> You had me there for a moment... :-)

By revising the code base, Python people observed that integer division,
used as such, is not used very often, and among the few cases that were
observed, could be avoided sometimes.

It is not worth spoiling a still unused character for an operation, like
integer division, which is not often required in practice.  Do not touch
unused characters, and let's protect them with care and tender, yet rather
firmly, like we already do for many animal races prone to extinction. :-)