Language change and code breaks

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Jul 25 01:22:32 EDT 2001

"Joseph A. Knapka" <jknapka at earthlink.net> writes:

> Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> writes:
>
> >> I would very much prefer a case *insensitive* language with tools
> >> that enforce *uniform* case usage.
> >
> > And that's of course what I have in mind.
>
> I'm confused. Are you proposing:
>
> (1) A case *sensitive* language (that is, no change),with tools to
> enforce case consistency; or
>
> (2) A case *insensitive* language (God forbid), with tools to
> enforce case consistency; or
>
> (3) Something else?

I have changed my mind.  I think that if I had to start over, I would
indeed try my hands at a case-insensitive language aimed at teaching
programming to beginners, with tools to enforce case consistency.
Given that nobody else who currently uses Python thinks this is a good
idea, I then settled on a case-sensitive language with case-preserving
tools.  But now I think neither is worth fighting for.