'Blade of Darkness' demo has open Python source

Terry Reedy tjreedy at home.com
Tue Jul 10 23:32:24 EDT 2001

In a recent thread on game programming in Python, someone mentioned that
the commercial game Severance: Blade of Darkness is scripted in Python.  I
recently installed it off a demo CD.  While I could not play too far due to
having only half the required video memory, I was surprised and pleased to
discover that it included open Python source:  not frozen .exe, not
compiled .pyc, but notepad-readable .py files.  Besides the compiled .dll
engines, there is a directory of animation scripts, a directory of utility
files (such as a lever class in lever.py), a directory of actual game
scripts, and some others.  The code is not the most efficient possible, but
clear enough.  (A few files have Spanish names and comments, but most are
straight English).  An aspiring Python game programmer could probably learn
a bit from purusing them more than I did.

The 100 MB download is available from several sources reachable thru
http://www.codemasters.com/severance/ .

Terry J. Reedy