Activestate Python, not able to run "Module Documentation Server" on standalone computer

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Sat Jul 14 16:01:08 EDT 2001

[Christian Aastorp]
> The Module Documentation Server is quite nice, I run it on my computer
> at work. But it fails when I try to run it at home with a message from
> the browser that its unable to go on-line.

pydoc.py had this problem on Win9X until we changed the code to use hostname

    localhost

instead of

    127.0.0.1

Apparently Win9X wasn't able to resolve the latter spelling without first
calling up your ISP to assure it there was no need to ask <wink>.

You *may* able to worm around this bu creating a hosts file with the line

127.0.0.1       localhost

See

     http://www.isgsp.net/misc/hosts.html

for instructions.