Python for air traffic control?

David LeBlanc whisper at oz.nospamnet
Tue Jul 3 12:20:13 EDT 2001

In article <3B41C7C4.E444FCF8 at stroeder.com>, michael at stroeder.com says...
> David LeBlanc wrote:
> >
> > The Canadians privatized their national air traffic control a few years
> > ago and oh my! the planes RUN ON TIME!
>
> Which does not say anything about safety. Well, time will tell...
>
> Ciao, Michael.

Does not say anything _explicit_ about safety, but it suggests a lot, at
least to me.

No corporation is going to fail to budget for equipment maintenence,
upgrades as needed and whatever else it takes to maintain a system and
make a profit while not paying out huge insurance premiums to their risk
carriers for accidentally running planes into mountains, the ground or
each other.

This is in sharp contrast to the US system where congress can barely
manage to look up from swilling from the corporate trough for reelection
funds long enough to even appropriate salaries. Of course, our system has
no long delays, and hasn't landed more the 3-4 planes on top of each
other in the past 5 years (Detroit, LAX and... don't recall the third).
Yup, safe as a government run operation can be. And look! no insurance
premiums, we just milk the taxpayers a bit more in a bad year or not fund
low-income child care... easy.

Heh.

Dave LeBlanc