PEP0238 lament

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sun Jul 22 16:24:22 EDT 2001

David Eppstein wrote:

> I would be a lot happier with integer / integer = rational (as in
> Mathematica's programming lang), but float is just ugly.  It is
> turning
> exact values (integers) into approximate ones (float) when I didn't
> tell it
> to. It's almost as bad as if integer subtraction always truncated to
> 16
> bit values -- a lot of the time that would give sort of reasonable
> answers
> but it's a gratuitous approximation where you didn't expect one.

I agree.  It's turning an otherwise fairly strongly (but dynamically)
typed language on its head.  If I want type-changing operations, I'll do
them explicitly.

/  \ Wretches hang that jurymen may dine.
\__/ Alexander Pope
    Esperanto reference / http://mirror/alcyone/max/lang/esperanto/
 An Esperanto reference for English speakers.