FEEDBACK WANTED: Type/class unification

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sun Jul 29 06:04:27 EDT 2001

cliechti at mails.ch (chris liechti) writes:

> why 2.2? this would also fit in a 3.0 along with a unified number system
> and true division. this would make a clean cut and a new better "python
> 3.0" would be the choice for new projects and beginners. as you pointed
> out, in perl there was a similar cut from 4 to 5 (well python won't be very
> incompatible, just some modules need an update).

The idea is to experiment with the new features in 2.2 (and later) in
a way that tries not to break old code, and to introduce the
code-breaking finishing touch in 3.0.

> will this also allow to replace the default generators for builtin
> types/type-classes? i mean that i can replace "int", "float", "complex",...
> with my own factories, say to implement my own number tower with rationals
> (if they weren't included anyway).

This won't affect the type of literals, so I don't think it'll be very
useful.  But of course you can write your own numeric types that fit
in with the rest.