Template processing

David Goodger dgoodger at bigfoot.com
Mon Jul 2 21:10:36 EDT 2001

on 2001-07-02 11:37 AM, Lutz Schroeer
(Lutz.Schroeer at kybernetik-manufaktur.de) wrote:
> I want to do some _simple_ template processing. Which is the best package to
> use (except Zope and except writing it myself ;-))?

That depends on what you want to do.

Embed Python expressions & statements in a template file (simple code)? Try
Alex Martelli's yaptu.py (Yet Another Python Templating Utility) from:

    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/52305

(An updated version should be available shortly. Write me if you *must* have
it.)

Embed template text in a Python module (complex code)? Try Quixote:

    http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/python/quixote/

PyHTML takes it even further, but requires you to recompile Python:

    http://incolor.inebraska.com/jepler/pyhtml/

I've heard of Python Server Pages, but haven't used them:

    http://www.ciobriefings.com/psp/

There's a table of alternatives at the Webware project:

    http://webware.sourceforge.net/Papers/Templates/

(Webware also contains "Python Server Pages". Same code? Just same name? I
don't know.)

--
David Goodger    dgoodger at bigfoot.com    Open-source projects:
 - Python Docstring Processing System: http://docstring.sf.net