proposed language change to int/int==float (was: PEP0238 lament)

Israel Israel at lith.com
Wed Jul 25 13:22:42 EDT 2001

I'm a newbie to Python and I love it so far.  I'm also an artist moving into
the world of programming.  I've played around with C++ and Lisp and Perl a
little, and I find the idea of sensible division rather appealing.

It seems to me that doing division in the same way as C++ with the Ints and
Floats and Longs works against some of the main goals of Python.
Dynamicallity ( is that a word? ) Dynamicness?  Dynamite!?  Anyway, mention
of a unified numeric model sound really interesting.  In keeping with the
Dynamism of Python it would be marvelous to model numbers in the same way we
do in REAL math and not in a way that has been developed to work around a
computer's essential handicap, memory allocation and other binary related
stuff.  It doesn't make sense to have to really understand the inner
workings of Python and why one needs to divide numbers in a particular way
and not to expect the answers one has learned to expect in school.  Division
is one way in which Python has been like other more traditional languages
because it expects the user/programmer to deal with things not really a part
of the language but a part of the mechanics.

It's like having people speak in english except for particular expressions
where they now must also introduce a special tone to their voice, say
talking in the note of B flat, whenever they want to talk about wisconson.
Silly analogy and not entirely correct, but the way division works right now
is just a silly.

Just my two cents.  And remember, I'm just a newbie to programming so I
don't really know what I'm talking about so if this offends your traditions
(flash to Topol in the Fiddler on the Roof --TRADITION --), you can ignore
me...

~Israel~