user level can't bind socket address & port

Donn Cave donn at drizzle.com
Tue Jul 24 02:13:53 EDT 2001

Quoth "" <k5r2a at chollian.net>:

| as the title user level can't bind socket address & port
|
| for example,
|     sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_DGRAM)
|     sock.bind((iface, port))
|
| if i login user level, python interpreter generate error message like that
| "    sock.bind((iface, port))
|      socket.error: (13, 'Permission denied') "
|
| How can I bind socket user level.

Use a port value greater than 1024.  Values lower than this are
reserved for root privilege, for the sake of a crude security
distinction.  Since access to those ports are mediated by the
host, we assume that it allows only bona fide connections -
an rsh client that was actually run by the ostensible user,
a telnetd server that is actually the standard telnetd, etc.

	Donn Cave, donn at drizzle.com