Python and DB support (was: Re: Is Python Dead?)

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 3 17:25:02 EDT 2001

"Hamish Lawson" <hamish_lawson at yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:915a998f.0107030845.5c1a77f4 at posting.google.com...
> Alex Martelli:
>
>     Python can work perfectly well WITHIN ASP/IIS
>
> Roman Suzi:
>
>     ADO could help for those who consider Python for tasks usually
>     done with PHP or ASP.
>
> I suspect there may be cross-purposes here, due to differences in how
> the term 'ASP' is being used. Strictly ASP is a technology for dynamic
> web pages, but without any reference to any particular programming
> language. VBScript just happens to be the most widely used language
> for working with ASP, but other languages can be used - JScript,

Actually, JScript seems to be more widespread in this role, judging
from various hints -- including the fact that in the next Microsoft
language generation, VBScript disappears (reabsorbed by VB, if
you will) but JScript is still being intensely invested on (also, the
examples on MSDN seems strongly JScript-biased).

> PerlScript, Python, etc. Thus to compare Python with ASP is, strictly
> speaking, as meaningless as comparing Python with CGI (when you
> actually meant Perl).

Yep, this is exactly what I think Roman finally got from this
exchange.

Alex