Nasty typo in PEP 238 (revised)

David Eppstein eppstein at ics.uci.edu
Thu Jul 26 21:40:08 EDT 2001

In article <cp4rrz5onj.fsf at cj20424-a.reston1.va.home.com>,
 Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

>     Q. How do I write code that works under the classic rules as well
>        as under the new rules without using // or a future division
>        statement?
>
>     A. Use x*1.0/y for true division, divmod(x, y)[0] for int
>        division.  Especially the latter is best hidden inside a
>        function.  You may also write floor(x)/y for true division if
>        you are sure that you don't expect complex numbers.

Shouldn't this be float(x)/y ?

I still don't like the phrase "true division", it implies a value judgement
that quotients are somehow an inferior thing to want to compute.
--
David Eppstein       UC Irvine Dept. of Information & Computer Science
eppstein at ics.uci.edu http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/