PEP0238 lament

Arthur Siegel ajs at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jul 24 23:18:00 EDT 2001

Guido writes -

>I should add that I never meant that the problem was only
>important for novices or in an educational setting (I only meant this
>as an example of the kind of problems division crates).  Some folks
>(like Arthur Siegel) have used a contrary novice's or educator's
>experience as a counter-argument to this.  But they fall in the same
>trap as most of the other proponents of the status quo: because they
>don't use floats much, they don't care that floating point arithmetic
>is broken.

I'm going to use the cover Stephen Horne has provided me to comment -
no longer fearing that I might  be the most manic pain in the ass on
the thread.

Simply to say that Guido has no basis to know much about my use
of floats.

And that in fact I consider my argument for the division operator
"status quo" no better than a nit of the same ilk as the
CP4E argument for the change.

Had always held out the hope and possibility that there was a
more powerful argument justifying the change.  Hopefully Guido
has delivered it to the satisfaction of those in a position to
judge the strength of his reasoning here.

I am not.

ART